Sunday, June 14, 2009

Will my degree in America, work in Sweden


Will my degree in America, work in Sweden?
So I've been planning to go to Sweden for awhile now, but..I will be taking classes soon in the Cosmetology/Esthetician area in America. When I go there, will it mean anything to have studied these things or will it be a total waste of time? Will I be able to find a job?
Other - Europe - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Most likely your degree will not be honoured in Sweden, but with what you have learned you will be able to get a course in Sweden in the same field and have it much easier to pass the exams. I have never heard about a degree in the Cosmetology/Esthetician area in Europe, but I am not specialized in higher education nor in Cosmetics and so on, so you might be able to get your papers 'translated and reevaluated' so you can use them to find work. It is however not one of the fields of education that makes it easier to get visa and work permits.
2 :
Yeah, any education is good =) In Sweden you can study cosmetology but you will get more of a certificate than a degree. I don't think there is an abundance of jobs in that area of work but you could look at work in hair salons, spas, even leisure centres. It's difficult to find work in Sweden period, for anyone with any type of degree... I don't think it will be a waste of time, but if you are moving to a smaller city you may struggle to find work in that area. Be prepared to do something slightly different. If you are moving to a larger city then you may have bigger chances of getting something. Just know that these type of work places are far more common in the States than in Sweden. I have never even seen a nail salon in Sweden (they do exist though somewhere I'm sure) =)) I'm Swedish but I have a degree from the States and never had any problem. Everyone speaks English so I don't even bother translating my transcripts.