Thursday, September 1, 2011

will american lamps work in europe


will american lamps work in europe?
would like to buy a lamp from Crate and Barrel. Would it work in Sweden? I know the US has 110V, and we use 230V. I know some electronics can handle a range of volts, for example my laptop can handle 100-240V so it works in Europe and the US as long as i convert the actual plug, but I dont have to convert the power. Would this be true for some lamps as well? And if the lamp can only handle 110V, can I just use a transformer to convert 230V down to 110V? ...and what about the hertz?
Other - Europe - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think you still have to have a converter
2 :
You may just need to change the plug. At work we convert European to American by just changing plug you may also need to change socket but it will be cheaper than a converter.
3 :
The lamp is o.k., the bulp however (110 Volts), will produce a bright light, but only for a couple of seconds/minutes, then it will quit the service (broken filament). Just buy a european 230 volts bulb and use it with your lamp. Regular bulps have the same fittings. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotodesign-luetke/2278501483/ Furthermore you need a plug-adapter, since Swedish plug/sockets look like that. http://kropla.com/!f.htm
4 :
My friend brought a lamp from the states to Europe and just had someone change the plug for her. I brought a vhs recorder years ago and had a electrician neighbor fix it for me to work over here in Europe. We also brought a converter over from the states that works for small appliances.