Thursday, March 1, 2012

How do I get my amp working in Sweden


How do I get my amp working in Sweden?
Last year I went to Sweden with my guitar and my practice amp, and when I went to plug in my amp, it short-circuited, I later found out, it was because the wattage in Sweden was higher than that of in America, and that much electricity overloaded the system. I had the adapter to plug in my amp, obviously, since I wouldn't be able to plug it in at all without the adapter. Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is this just inevitable, if I want an amp in Sweden do I need to buy one there, thanks. P.S. In case this is important, I have a 15w Line 6 Spider IV amp.
Other - Europe - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It's the voltage which is higher (220V), not the wattage! You need an adaptor. There are adaptors which are compatible with both, american and european voltages.
2 :
As you have already short circuited your amp you will first have to repair it to working order. If you can do it yourself, you can order your parts from the USA so they are compatible with the amp as is. But if you are 'stupid' enough to plug in an American amp into an Swedish outlet without checking the voltage, I worry about you being able to repair your amp. Better bring it to a local repair shop. Or buy a new amp in Sweden. I hope you did not burn out your guitar while burning your amp. Next time remember that there are plug adapters, those do not change the power. There are also voltage converters, those change the local voltage to that needed for the thing you are using. When using the voltage converter you will need to read a lot, about the voltage in the country you are, what is need for your things and how to set it up.