Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Volunteering/Working programs in Sweden/Norway


Volunteering/Working programs in Sweden/Norway?
I'm very interested in the cultures of these two countries and I'm looking for programs that I can join. I don't really care for what I volunteer to do, I just want to get over there and learn more. Also, I'm searching for programs that will provide board for me for the work I can provide. Does anyone know anything about this, or can lead me in a direction to accomplish this? Links or tips/past experiences will be fine as well. Thank you :)
Other - Europe - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Are you sure that you are heading into the right directions for " voluntering/work" About you want to work and live in this places then, just arrive there and go into any jobcenter, maybe they will have something for you
2 :
From your other questions, it looks like you're American? Just so you're aware, you're limited to 90 days out of every 180 days in the Schengen area (including Sweden and Norway). You're also not supposed to work during this time, though volunteering is in a grey area. Sweden does count room/board as payment, though farms may not care because they're not officially hiring employees. Most volunteer programs require you to pay your own way, but there are a few that provide room and board. WWOOF (Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms) is one of these. You have to pay a small fee to access a country's list of farms, then you contact the farms yourself. You should research people's experiences on that particular farm, because not everyone adheres to the expectations of the network. http://www.wwoof.se/home/ http://www.wwoof.org/independents.asp Another possibility for a cheap visit would be to arrange couchsurfing hosts for free accommodation. Most people will let you use their kitchen as well, which saves on food costs. http://www.couchsurfing.org/
3 :
I travelled around Norway for 5 weeks, and stayed with Norwegian hosts whom I met via these 3 websites: couchsurfing.org hospitalityclub.org globalfreeloaders.com First hook up with Norwegians through these websites, then make your enquiries to them. Good luck. (I don't know about Sweden...I guess the above advice can apply to Sweden too.)